Friday, February 22, 2013

The Last Night - Marina Scheid

This whole week I've had moments where I've been focusing on a project for a long period of time and I'll take a moment to look up from what I'm doing. When I do this I try to not focus on anything. I take in the sights and sounds of the situation as a whole.
The sights and sounds never fail to move me. I see our group as a smiling, hilarious, funky bunch of people working their butts off together.
Our group breaks barriers. We accomplish more work than anyone expects us too. We throw ourselves (sometimes literally) into a project and get it done to the best of our abilities.
Before NOLA I admit I wasn't a hard worker. I rarely put full effort into anything. On this trip that was not an option. But not because if I didn't work hard I would get " in trouble". My fellow classmates and teachers were all around me doing such a great job and always staying positive, and perservering. How could I not do the same?
We broke barriers as a group, but I have felt that each of us has broken barriers individually. I have watched the people around me evolve in their own way. I've seen the shy kids open up. I've seen the class clowns give truly inspiring insight into what we were learning by helping others. I myself have an easier time embracing every situation I'm faced with. I played frisbee and basketball for the first time, I was never brave enough before. I introduced myself to people and made connections with people I didn't know. Before I was afraid to do that.
Going home tomorrow, I'm bringing home a different Me. I feel empowered, less self absorbed, and inspired. Mr. David  ( a man whose house we were rebuilding ) told me, " The Bible will always be true, in the Bible it says you will reap what you sow. If you give out nothing, you will receive nothing. I gave to people and I helped when I could. Now I know that God sent you to me, and I appreciate all you guys have done."
I will always hold Mr. David's words in my heart.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment