Sunday, February 17, 2013

DeJanee Ashmore

The plane ride down was very exciting, and nerve racking. Reason being because we finally can say we are heading to Louisiana. When we landed, the air had a feeling of joy. Being my first year, and there's only a couple of sophmores, it was nerve racking but I got over my fear once we all got really comfortable with eachother. On saturday, drive through the New Orleans to get to the lower 9th ward, I was thinking how could this beautiful city be filled with water. Arriving at the lower 9th and seeing houses not touched since Katrina it gave me chills. Also seeing the Xs on the houses saying the number of deaths, and toxic water, and the date when it was checked out was sad. Getting to the empty house that Mr. Kane has been seeing since he first came down, walking in and seeing the ceiling fan blades curl in, like a dying flower was very touching to my heart, as I was walking out of the house I saw my friends reading a journel filled with love letters to a person, and the year being 1990. I felt that I was invading the person's privacy. I just didn't know what to do with myself. Just being in New Orleans I have been really quiet, but I am really thankful for being a part of this group, and sharing this experience with a group full of wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment