Thursday, February 21, 2013

Sam Costa

I have been thinking about what I wanted to write for a while. You know how everyone says doing things on your own builds character? Over the course of this trip, I have proven this quote to be incorrect in many ways. I feel that inside I have become a very different person and that was not because I did anything on my own. Yes, I left my family and I could even say my comfort zone but I was with 45 other people who helped me through it and who truly care about my well being. I have made so many friends it is remarkable.  I love each and every one of the people I have met here in New Orleans, and I have learned that I have different friends for different reasons. I now can say that I have a group of friends who will sing and dance with me in the middle of a public place in front of many people and not care a bit about what people think.  It truly has made me crack apart my shell and be more open. At first, I hesitated a little to sing out loud but now I don't think twice about belting out the words to thrift shop (the words that I know anyways) or dancing at a work site.  I love that I can say that I have friends who won't roll their eyes when I do that and will fully embrace it with me.

 Through this wonderful experience, I have also learned that I have taken a lot for granted especially time.  There isn't much of it in a day and what I find I spend most of my time doing is rushing around trying to get as much done as possible.  I never give myself time to reflect on how my day went and because of the fact that I got to do that here, I will start doing that more often.  Everyday I get the opportunity to share my favorite part of the day here and it makes my day so much better, not to mention it ends it on a positive note.  Another thing we do here is as Kane says "we put our three favorite things in a box and close the lid".  This stuck with me for some reason.  I think I love it so much because that is what I have a hard time doing back home.  I never think about the real things in life that make me happy that are not just hockey or material objects. One of the things I put in my box is my sister.  She means the world to me and I never have really grasped the fact that there are people who are so just truly grateful that their family are even still here.  I met a man named Robert Green who witnessed his family wash away in the floods of Katrina.  When he told us about that I realized that I couldn't imagine what I would do without her.  As much as we argue I know that she will always be there for me. 
Do I miss home? Well I can honestly say that while I do miss my family and my friends, I feel as if down here though, I have a whole new family who is always with me. I know that if I ever needed anything they would be there for me in a heart beat.  So yes, while I do miss home there is still a part of me that never ever wants to leave this place or this family.
Overall, my experience here has been like no other and I wouldn't change it for the world.  I have met people who are sincerely thankful for all that we have done and it puts things into a perspective I have never seen before.  I can now say that I have seen the Bayou, touched the waters of the Mississippi, touched the top of a tiny jellyfish on an Indian reservation and so much more.  I really want to thank Maria, Jess, Matt, Elizabeth and Nick for putting all of this together and coordinating our family all year long.  I would also like to give a shout-out to Mr. Kane for being the man who fights for what he believes in and never backs down and never underestimates any person's capabilities. Also for staying awake while I write all this at 11 o'clock at night! Thank you all for this experience and I will keep these memories in my box forever.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't be more happy and more proud of you, Sam. Looking forward to hearing your stories and maybe learning a thing or two about perspective.
    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete