Thursday, February 21, 2013

Andrew Shepherd

I was talking with a friend today on the car ride back from La Place (One of our work sites).  It was about how regardless of the jobs we volunteered for or tasks we were assigned we loved what we did. No matter how monotonous, repetitive, or simplistically boring these tasks are.  Here on the work site it was fun.  The friend then mentioned how some one she knew was doing similar work as we were and completely not enjoying it but being paid for it. 
The same work with two vastly different perceptions, lots of fun or boring as can be.  Now let me tell you, it wasn't a complete epiphany but I remembered why I have come to love volunteering.  No matter what I do as a volunteer, I feel rewarded.  My work has meaning and I want to help.  Yet when money becomes a factor of the equation I am no longer interested.  I think this goes for most kids in our NOLA group and it is why we become such good friends.  We are all bonded by our will and desire to help others, we need no money.  This is one aspect I love about this trip. 46 peers bonded together by the will and desire to help in any way we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment