Sunday, February 24, 2013

Closing Statement- Jessica DiLorenzo


My third and final year being a part of the New Orleans Service Learning program ended yesterday. In all honesty I thought I would be much more sad. Maybe, it's the fact that it hasn't been a full 24 hours since I last saw everyone or the perhaps it's the fact that I'm trying to live in denial that a chapter that spanned three years of my life is finally coming to a close. In no way am I saying it was easy to wake up alone this morning, and I greatly miss eating my breakfast and dinner with 45 other people. But, a huge part of the reason I believe I am satisfied with leaving this program is because I have so many aspiring peers to leave this continuously growing and thriving program with. It's their time now to have some of the greatest experiences of their lives. As a coordinator of this program everything that happens regarding trip or fundraisers or anything means so much to me and if there is ever a flaw or something is done extremely well it is always taken to the heart by myself and all of the other coordinators. Everyone who was a part of this program played a key role. .
During this trip the topic of relationships was brought about a lot. The relationships that are built during this trip always surprise me. Every year it shocks me how such a diverse group and can come together and become great friends. This year I believe the group was the most solid that its ever been. I know personally I could walk up to anyone that was a part of this program and be able to talk to them about anything. I personally had an experience that was  one of a kind and I had everyone there for me which was the best and made my trip better. You all are truly my family and it's important to know that just as you were all there for me I will always be there for ya'll. Along with all of my friends that were directly part of this trip I was able to make new friends too! Whether it be the comical and kind chaperones that we took on this year hoping that they'd love the experience, which they did in every way, or the team leads of the projects we worked on with United Saints I know that friendships were created or candles were lit.  It was one of my own personal goals to create new friendships and further others and I believe that is exactly what I did. I lit as many candles as I could over this past week and I hope to continue this throughout the end of my senior year. After all, its the people and relationships in your life that make it worth while.
  Being a second year coordinator I can easily say that this year went phenomenally. I wouldn't want to do a single thing differently. I have to thank all 46 people that helped make this program possible. I wish the best for the future coordinators and the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment