Sunday, February 24, 2013

Moving Mountains With Spoons... Danielle Croteau

I've written this entry about five times now trying to search for the right words to say and I just seem to be at a loss. I have never been good with saying things right but I find if you search deep enough the answer is always in there somewhere. So here it goes...

People ask me all the time, why do you bother to go to New Orleans? This question always surprises me because, I can not imagine my life if I had not gone down there three years ago. New Orleans has a way of pulling you in and stealing your heart. There's no other way to explain it. I love that city for everything its worth; the good, the bad and the ugly. I've fallen in love with the feeling of making the smallest difference in someones life. Whether that be from painting a mural, removing mold, playing with a shelter dog. It may sound absurd but New Orleans has captivated me and in return I dedicated myself to helping it grow stronger and trying to improve the lives of the people there. I was told this week that what we do is like trying to move mountains with spoons. Well if that's the case I and 45 other people were also ready with their spoons. No hesitation at all, we all dove right in.

As I am graduating this year I feel sad because my journey is over. However I know I am on to bigger things and the lessons I have learned here will carry with my the rest of my life. New Orleans has made me who I am today and I think that is something to be proud of. So me and rest of the Seniors will graduate soon, leaving behind a legacy that I hope will carry on for many more years. Always improving and always flourishing. Thank you Mr. Kane for giving me this opportunity, you have handed me the world and said let's see what you can do. Most people wouldn't dare trust a teenager with the that responsibility but I like to think we all rose to the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment