Monday, February 18, 2013

Miles Massidda

This is my second year in NOLA, but it feels like I've been a part of it for my entire life. It has had such a profound effect on who I am and who I aspire to be that I can't even remember who I was before I joined the group. The great thing about NOLA, and community service in general, is even with all the hard work you put in, you always get more out of it. Although traveling to New Orleans to perform backbreaking labor for a week doesn't sound like a vacation, I feel more relaxed now than I have in a while. My only true stress down here is to make sure I do a good job on the particular work site I'm on. I haven't had a single thought this week about school, sports, money, college, or any other worries that consume my life while I'm in Mass. The other truly great gift I've received from participating in NOLA is all the good friends that I've made. Before I joined, I really only knew 2 or 3 people in the group well. However, I now feel comfortable around all of them, and I think that's great because I probably wouldn't have had a chance to meet these people if I hadn't joined NOLA. Back in Mass, I really have nothing in common with a lot of the group, and I don't think I ever would have befriended them. In New Orleans, on the other hand, we are all a tight group dedicated to working hard and helping those who need it. NOLA is a great organization and I'm so happy that I joined it, because I wouldn't give up the experiences I've had through it for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment